#GivingTuesday is a movement created to celebrate giving on the Tuesday following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This third annual #GivingTuesday is on December 2, 2014 and was established by the UN Foundation and 92Y. In addition to being celebrated in the U.S., the day is celebrated in countries worldwild.
The day inspires personal philanthropy and encourages bigger, better and smarter charitable giving during the holiday season, showing that the world truly gives as good as it gets. It is a day where charities, companies and individuals like yourself join together to share commitments, rally for favourite causes and think about others.
The Amphibian Survival Alliance is the world’s largest partnership for amphibian conservation. By focusing on amphibians and the sites and habitats upon which they depend, we are working with our Partners to improve the quality of life for amphibians, for other wildlife and for people around the world.
On this day of giving back, the amphibians around the world need YOUR HELP too!
Why do we need to save amphibians? Because …
- they play an integral part in the food chain, acting as both as prey and predator.
- they have substances in their skin that can protect them and they could be used in treatments for a variety of human diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s and AIDs.
- they eat pest insects which in turn benefits agriculture and may help to minimize the spread of diseases such as malaria.
- they are sensitive environmental changes, they act as an ecological “canary in the coalmine” for humans, telling us when something is wrong in the environment around us.
- they’re here today!
- they depend on us!
- they are beautiful!
- life’s more fun with frogs!
- #FrogsNeedFriends too!
How can you help?
#GivingTuesday is about ordinary people coming together doing extraordinary things. It is the perfect time for the world to come together and show how powerful humanity can be when we unite to give on one day and feel great giving. So what can YOU do to help?
Visit http://www.amphibians.org/givingtuesday/ to find out how to participate.
How do your donations make a difference?
With the help of people like yourself since 2012 the ASA has helped to protect over 5,000 hectares of critical amphibian habitat in 5 countries. We have done this through 10 Grants targeted at 8 Priority Species investing over USD$300,000 in amphibian conservation, research and education!