Earth Day is the largest environmental celebration in the world, mobilizing and inspiring people of all ages and backgrounds to protect the planet and the species that call it home, including amphibians.
But who said #EarthDay should only last for a single day each year? The Amphibian Survival Alliance certainly didn’t! In fact, we treat every day like it’s Earth Day and we would love it if you did, too! Just imagine how great the world would be for amphibians if everyone did!
And it’s easy too! It doesn’t take a lot of effort for each of to us to make a difference. In fact, here are 5 things you can do right now to make every day Earth Day for amphibians:
- Habitat loss is the #1 cause of amphibian population declines globally: Support habitat protection efforts to help us conserve, improve and enlarge areas of habitat that are important to amphibians.
- Emerging infectious diseases have wiped out amphibian populations around the world: Support disease research to eliminate some of the greatest emerging threats to amphibian biodiversity around the world.
- With more than 7,000 species of amphibians around the world we still have so much to learn: Become a citizen scientist and collect the data necessary to properly inform amphibian conservation decisions.
- Amphibians are sensitive to environmental change so tread lightly: Practice amphibian-friendly gardening techniques and never use chemical pesticides and herbicides in your garden.
- Finally, the more we know the greater our impact will be: Educate yourself on the issues, threats, efforts underway to protect amphibians and other opportunities for you to make a difference!
We want to hear from you now: what else are YOU doing to ensure it’s #EarthDayEveryDay for amphibians? Tell us in a comment below, tag us on Twitter (@amphibiansorg) or post on our Facebook page!